This recipe is great for a picnic or an appetizer. Because the pasta shells are rolled in ground almonds after stuffing, they are easily eaten out of hand.
- 20 jumbo pasta shells, cooked according to package directions, and rinsed in cold water
- 36 oz cans of tuna (I like Albacore). If the tuna is packed in olive oil, drain, but reserve 2 tablespoons of oil. If the tuna is water packed, drain and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¾ cups celery finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and minced
- 1/3 cup red onion minced
- ½ cup roasted red peppers diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- ground almonds for coating
- leaf lettuce (to line the serving plate)
In a large bowl, mix everything together except the pasta and ground almonds. Stuff each pasta shell with 2 tablespoons of tuna mixture. Roll the finished shell in ground almonds and place on a lettuce leaf lined serving plate. Continue stuffing shells.
Serve cold orat room temperature. Makes 20.