The classic Moroccan spice blend.
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground allspice or 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg or 1 whole nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground black pepper or 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or a 3 inch long cinnamon stick
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cardamom or 2 teaspoons cardamom seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
Place all whole spices in a grinder or mortar and pestle. Grind until whole spices are a powder. You might need to do a few whole spices at a time depending on the size of your grinder. Stir all the ground spices together to make the spice blend.
Makes ¼ cup.