Spring is here! This is my favorite time of the year. Our yard is full of daffodils and flowering trees. I love all of the color and surprises as plants that I have forgotten over the winter bloom. In keeping with the theme of the season, here is a simple recipe that looks impressive, has lots of color, and tastes amazing.
- 2 lbs tortellini (I like to use frozen pre-cooked multi-colored tortellini)
Cook according to package directions and cool.
- 1 lb broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 large red peppers, cored and seeded, cut into ½ inch dice
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- grated zest of 1 orange
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh orange juice to thin dressing
Mix everything together.
Blanch broccoli and carrots separately in boiling salted water just until tender. Drain and cool. In a large bowl combine tortellini with vegetables. Add dressing and gently toss until evenly coated. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Serves 8 to 10.