- 4 slices firm bread; place in food processor and process into medium crumbs
- 2 lbs ground lamb or beef or a combination of both
- ½ cup red onion grated, or place it in a food processor and process into a paste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika (and more for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/3 cup parsley chopped (and more for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Skewers for cooking
Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together. Take about 1/3 cup of mixture and form into an elongated oval. Stick the skewer through the long way and flatten the meat onto the skewer. Place the kabobs on a baking sheet in a single layer and continue the process until all of the meat is used. Place parchment paper between layers if needed. Pre-heat grill to medium-high and place kabobs on the grill. Cook turning once until cooked through. Or cook under a pre heated broiler.
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes until tomatoes have broken down and thickened. Adjust seasoning.
- 1 ½ cups plain yogurt (I like Nancy's brand)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Mix together. To serve, top kebabs with garlic yogurt and a drizzle of tomato sauce. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Serve Pita bread on the side.
Serves 6 to 8.