The recipe of the month is a hearty "Minestrone Soup". Since the days are getting cooler I'm still using up zucchini. You can omit the sausage and change the beef broth to vegetable broth to make the dish vegetarian, without losing any of the flavor. Serve with warm bread sticks and enjoy.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb chopped
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 3 zucchini diced
- 1 ½ cups green beans sliced into 1 inch sections
- 1 small green cabbage shredded
- 5 cups beef stock
- 5 cups water
- Canned diced tomatoes- about 30 oz
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans drained
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 1 ½ lbs sweet Italian sausage sautéd and drained
- Grated Parmesan or Fontina cheese for garnish
Heat oil in a stock pot and sauté onion until it is translucent. Add the next 7 vegetables and sauté about 10 minutes. Add liquids, herbs, and seasoning. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook 2 hours. Add remaining ingredients and cook until pasta is done.
Serve with parmesan cheese and bread.
Serves 10 to 12.